Whole Grain Pasta tossed in a light and creamy sauce with broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes.
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: Serves 6
12-ounces whole grain spaghetti
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup white wine (use your favorite)
1 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes
1 tablespoon sliced fresh basil
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
2 tablespoons skim milk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Shredded Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring frequently. Don’t burn it.
- Add broccoli and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and wine; bring to a boil.
- Stir in tomatoes, basil and Italian Seasoning; reduce heat and simmer covered for 10-12 minutes, or until liquid is reduced.
- Remove cover and stir in milk and heavy cream.
- Season with salt and pepper and cover; continue to cook for 2 minutes or until sauce is reduced.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain spaghetti and add to broccoli mixture; toss together until well combined.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
– Janis Merrill-Gipson, Cuisine & Décor Editor
Janis is a self proclaimed domestic diva, living in her hometown of Chicago, Illinois. Janis is a chef, who loves to cook, an interior decorator, art collector, jazz fan, and an avid reader. She believes there are many layers and components that comprise living an enriched life. And Janis is here to share tips.