This is dry pigeon peas (from our garden) and rice served with fried Jack Fish, sautéed carrots with shredded green cabbage and Shrimp. Lettuce and cucumbers
Pigeon Peas & Rice
- Rinse and pick through 1lb of pigeon peas
- 1/4 C Vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 geeen pepper cored and diced
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups Basmati or any long grain rice
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 T. of salt
- Put the pigeon peas and bay leaves in a large pot, cover with 3 quarts of cold water, and place over medium heat. Cover and cook the beans until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Check the water periodically; add more, if necessary, to keep the peas covered. Drain the pigeon peas and reserve 4 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a large Dutch oven or other ovenproof pot with the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. When the oil begins to smoke, add the onion, garlic, and peppers. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, until the vegetables have softened, without letting them brown. Pour in the chicken broth and continue to cook until the liquid is evaporated. Stir in the cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Mix in the rice and reserved pigeon peas. Pour in the reserved 4 cups of pigeon pea cooking liquid, lime juice, and salt; stir everything together. Cover and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
She ready! Eat good!
People say this fish has a strong fishy taste, but Caribbean people love it. “They can’t keep it at the supermarket. It sells very fast!
- 1-2lbs. Jack Fish whole
- Salt, Pepper, and your favorite seasoning for fish
- 1/4 C Canola or Vegetable oil
No flour for Julies.
- Season your fish to cover all
- Use a wrought iron skillet and heat to medium-hot
- Place fish in skillet, brown on one side, the turn and let cook about 5-8min.
Choose your steamed veggies and serve up a plate.
Julies has a Wonderful Husband, 37 years together… 29 married.. 4 children, 4 grandchildren. (Collin, Lincoln, Autumn, and Genaai Gibs. )She is a people person and works at Divi Little Bay Beach and Racquet Club, St. Maarten, NA.” I Love my family and continue to trust in God.”