This is Sarin’s Kitchen, year round – VEGGIES! How to get them goin’?
Cut ’em up!
Som Tom (Green Papaya Salad) with Seafood
- 2 cups of shredded green papaya
- 1-2 tbs Thai snake beans (or green beans) cut into 1 inch sticks
- 1/2 cup carrots shredded
- 2 tbs of toasted peanuts
- 5 cloves of peeled garlic
- 1-4 fresh or dried chili peppers
- 1 cup long green beans cut in half
- 1 lb fresh shrimp steamed or grilled
- 1 lb scallops steamed or grilled (Optional)
- 1 tbs of dried shrimp
- 1-1/2 TBS sugar
- 7 cherry tomatoes
- juice of ½ lime
- 1½ tbs of fish sauce
- Mixed greens (lettuces) chopped
In a large bowl or mortar and pestle, mash the, chili peppers (1 or 2 to start), and garlic. Stir in 1 cup shredded papaya into side of bowl, grinding peppers and garlic.
Add in the rest of the peppers, carrots and green beans, and continue to crush together.
Add in fish sauce, sugar and lime juice, and dried shrimp. Continue mixing and crushing together.
Add in remaining green papaya, peanuts and cherry tomatoes.
Stir in cooked shrimp and scallops. Should taste salty-sweet.
Toss with greens.
Continue mixing and crushing, tasting often to insure seasonings are correct.
There are two things that characterize Sarin — her laughter and her food. Sarin is passionate about food, especially Thai food, and she cooks and teaches cooking traditional Thai with her own twist. Sarin also loves being a wife and mother.