I would like to contest that potatoes are the KING of all vegetables. Why? Well…
- Supremacy ‒ Every country, every part of the world, every household has its unique recipe that makes us rush home for the holidays.
- Adaptability ‒ They have a way to our hearts… Potatoes are a huge hit not only at the kids’ table but also at the adults’.
- Versatility ‒ From French fries to Samosas, from sewing them in one’s clothes for rheumatoid arthritis to sweet potato pies, from Vodka to Korean Soju, from mashed to KFC’s wedges, boiled or baked or roasted… the variations are endless.
Hasselback potatoes hail from the historic province Värmland in west-central Sweden. This recipe was created in 1953 by Leif Ellison, a trainee chef at restaurant Hasselbacken in Stockholm.
Here’s the recipe to cook hassle-free Hasselbacks:
- 4 potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- Butter (If you are vegan like me, I recommend Earth Balance from Trader’s Joe)
- Olive oil, about 3 tbsp
- Herbs (I used Marjoram)
- Salt, Pepper
- Wash potatoes & preheat oven
- Avoid slicing all the way through. Place each potato in between chopsticks (I used butter knives) and slice.
- Put them in a lined baking tray.
- Drop a dollop of butter in warm olive oil in a small skillet/pot. Add shredded garlic and herbs along with a dash of pepper and salt. Let is sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Smear the potatoes with half of the above mix. Feel free to add crushed sea-salt and peppercorn medley as per taste over them.
- Bake for about 25-35 mins. Use the remainder mix to smear the potatoes a second time. Bake for another 25-35 mins. The edges will get slightly crispy.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs (or green onions should you choose) and serve hot.
‒ Pratik Mamtora
– Pratik Mamtora
Pratik Mamtora was born & raised in India. He has lived in London, United Kingdom for three years & absolutely loved it there. Pratik has a Bachelor’s in English from India and Master’s (ABD) from UNA. He loves to read and write, especially poetry. Pratik enjoys coffee & conversation and is passionate about serving the community. He invests himself in understanding the needs of the modern world and the evolving spirituality within. Pratik is known to walk that extra mile to make others happy. If you ever meet… or when you meet him, Pratik will make you smile.